This week I am teaching at Camp Blue Haven in New Mexico. Last night I had the great privilege of preaching from Hebrews 12:1-3…
(1) Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, (2) fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (3) Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
This passage tells us that we as Christians have a race to run – a race that has been marked out for us. It also tells us how to run this race:
- Throw off everything that hinders us from running the Christian race.
- Get rid of the sin that entangles us in habits, attitudes, and behaviors that keep us from running the race effectively.
- Fix our eyes on Jesus, and let him set the pace for us.
- Regularly “consider” Jesus so we can learn from his example and be inspired by his life and teachings.
- Remember that we are not alone. There are many who ran this race well before us, and now, they are a “great cloud of witnesses” who are cheering for us to finish our race well.
In addition to the heroes of faith we read about in the Bible, who else is among your great cloud of witnesses?
Take a moment to pray and thank God for them.