I often find myself gravitating to 1 John 5:13-21 to be reminded of who I am and how I want to live. That passage contains several affirmations that can guide your approach to the week ahead. So, take a few minutes and reflect on the following thoughts…
- “I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life” (1 John 5:13). You are living for an eternal purpose. Your moral standards are defined by an eternal moral Creator and not by popular culture. Your life is anchored in the hope of the resurrection.
- “…he [God] hears us…” (1 John 5:14-15). You are not alone. Whatever you encounter this week, your God hears you and sees you. This truth is a source of confidence and peace.
- “If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life” (1 John 5:16). Praying for your Christian brothers and sisters to be led out of sin is a powerful ministry that you can participate in this week as an expression of your love for them and of your belief in the saving power of God.
- “We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin…” (1 John 5:18). This week, start taking the steps you need to take to break away from any sin that has a hold on you. And when tempted to sin this week, pray that God will deliver you from that temptation and the evil one.
- “We know that we are children of God…” (1 John 5:19). Your identity is found in the One who created you, not your job, title, achievements, or possessions.
- “We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we know him who is true” (1 John 5:20). You know Jesus and you have the ability and opportunity to make Jesus known to others this week. By knowing Jesus, you know truth, so stand for truth this week through your words, actions, and how you treat others.
- “Dear children, keep yourself from idols” (1 John 5:21). Refuse to let your work become an idol. Refuse to let your play become an idol. Refuse to let your paycheck become an idol. Refuse to let the approval of others become an idol. Keep yourself from idols and worship the one, true God.
Now, you’re ready for the week!